My childhood memories of Poona (not popularized 'Pune' back then) is of travelling in the White-Green MRSTC bus starting from Dadar bus stand passing through carved ghats and arriving at Pune station. Dad always made us stay at a certain 'Dreamland' hotel close to the bus station. Mornings were spent sitting in the balcony enjoying the chaos at the busy junction while lunch was a cab ride to Camp Area, specifically 'Dorabjee' for their Dhansak, Salli Ghosh and Bheja . Evening meal at times was at the generic restaurant in the hotel or only if we felt adventurous, then some good diner in Deccan or Camp.
A lot has changed since those days; Poona has transformed into a vibrant 'Pune City', I've got a set of thick friends, cousins who belong there and my two wheel wandering has enabled me to navigate through some unknown lanes and satiate my high to find a new route to every destination. The past few trips have only made me incline more towards this city than Mumbai for various reasons. The culinary scene is on a tremendous rise with almost all giant eateries making their way into the malls while some better home-grown eateries & breweries have exploded in Pune and then made their way to Mumbai. A deeper analysis will only keep me favouring to this concentrated, well organized conurbation than it's neighboring megacity.
Here is the list of a few of my explored eateries from this city. I'm sure these are not even half of what Pune has to offer, yet making an effort to put these eateries on the social media map.
(CA - Camp Area, KP - Koregaon Park, AU - Aundh, BG - Bund Garden, SR - Sasoon Road, VN - Viman Nagar, KR - Kothrud, SV - Salunke Vihar, KN - Kalyani Nagar, NIBM - NIBM Annexe)
- Marz-o-rin (CA) - My first love in the city and the best place to catch up on friends for a quick chat with Chutney Sanchwiches, Baked Bean Macaroni, Slushes & Burgers.
- Dorabjee (CA) - That old school favourite from childhood. Legendary Parsi delicacies liike Mutton Dhansak, Kheema Bheja, Saali Ghosh, Akuri & Traditional Parsi Biryani's creates that perfect nostalgia.
- Cafe Yedzan (CA) - Good old irani cafe known for a cuppa Chai, Bun Maska and Cheese Toast.
- Vohuman Cafe (SR) - Known for their legendary breakfast. Don't miss the Double Cheese Omelette, Bhurji, Bournvita & Chai.
- Olympia Restaurant (CA) - Kathi Kebab Rolls while on the stroll.
- German Bakery (KP) - Of Course ! For the buzzin crowd, location and all day cafeteria food.
- Flour Works (KN) - A piece of Bandra but situated in Kalyani Nagar. Scrumptious breakie, sandwiches & continental mains.
- Smiley House (AU) - For that quaint vietnamese soul food.
- Habibi (KP) - Hearty Mezze & Kebabs in an open air middle eastern ambiance.
- High Spirts (KP) - To experience the famous 'Cookout' sessions.
- Independence Brewing Company (KP), Flambos Brewpub (BG) & Doolally (NIBM)- Brilliant Craft Beers straight from their Microbreweries.
- Chopsticks Malabar Spice (VN) - Not much popular for their Chinese preparations as for their Kerala Thalli, Parotha, Chettinad Curries & Biryani.
- Tiranga (KR) - If you've an appetite for a true Maharashtrian cuisine and like your burps blazing like a dragon then their Gavran Handi, Rassa, Sukka & Thallis are for you to devour.
- Kayani Bakery (CA) - Pack some of their world renowned Shrewsbury Biscuits & Mawa Cakes.
- Yumme Tumme (SV) - Very underrated, dirt cheap eatery but serves some idiosyncratic food. Must try their Shawarma & Afghani Burger.
- Jashn (SV) - For that unexpected generous mouth watering late night meal.
Some other good old places may have been missed out, nevertheless there are a few more trips left to be made and it'll surely bring out those names along with new hidden gems.
With such a breezy pleasant weather right now in the summers, i'm surely contemplating a temporary move to this city. All these meals & hanging out would not have been possible without the help of a city insider, Ms. Jehan Thanks for bearing with the random visits, early breakfast calls & late night hopping.
Here are the three episodes we produced in collaboration with Novus Pictures. The series is called 'I Was Here' and these three episodes are based in Pune.